25 Cropsey Lane Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706
(914) 478-7990 NCF Email
The Newington-Cropsey Foundation was founded in 1977 for the purpose of preserving and displaying the home and paintings of Jasper F. Cropsey (1823-1900), Hudson River School artist. The Cropsey home, Ever Rest, has been on the National Register of Historic Homes since the early 1970's. In 1994, the Gallery of Art was completed, enabling the foundation to display more of the permanent collection of Cropsey's paintings, in addition to providing exhibition space for temporary and traveling exhibits. The new building also houses the archives of Cropsey's writings and papers as well as a small research library.
The Catalogue Raisonne project has been the main focus of the Foundation's research. The first volume of the Cropsey CR will be published and available in early 2014.
The Foundation's Cultural Studies Center was created to promote art and culture steeped in traditional classicism and values.In addition to lectures, symposium and other events, the Center also publishes the Foundation's American Arts Quarterly, edited by the founding Director of the Center, James F. Cooper. Mr. Cooper is the author of "Knights of the Brush: The Hudson River School and the Moral Landscape," in addition to many articles, reviews, and critiques on art and culture in the modern world.